Re: Reboot on Banana Pi not working?

On Fri, Mar 13, 2015 at 10:25:42PM +0000, Stuart Winter wrote:

> Hi Karsten
>
> > that is an installer udeb which is not intended for installation on an
> > already installed system.  Have you built a custom debian-installer
> > with this udeb, or do you perhaps mean
>
> I just took the vmlinuz from the udeb.
>
> https://wiki.debian.org/InstallingDebianOn/Allwinner
>
> So following those instructions, I downloaded
> http://d-i.debian.org/daily-images/armhf/daily/netboot/initrd.gz
> http://d-i.debian.org/daily-images/armhf/daily/netboot/vmlinuz
> http://d-i.debian.org/daily-images/armhf/daily/device-tree/sun7i-a20-bananapi.dtb
>
> And booted the Debian installer:
>
> setenv fdt_addr       0x43000000
> setenv ramdisk_addr_r 0x48000000
> setenv kernel_addr_r  0x47000000
> setenv dibase debian-arm/
> tftp ${fdt_addr} ${dibase}/sun7i-a20-bananapi.dtb ; fdt addr ${fdt_addr} 0x40000
> tftp ${kernel_addr_r} ${dibase}/vmlinuz
> setenv bootargs "console=ttyS0,115200 --- ${diargs}"
> tftp ${ramdisk_addr_r} ${dibase}/initrd.gz
> bootz ${kernel_addr_r} ${ramdisk_addr_r}:${filesize} ${fdt_addr}
>
> The vmlinuz linked from those instructions is 3.16.
>
> I exited to a shell and issued the 'reboot' command.  It worked.
>
> Trying Linux 3.19:-
>
> I took the vmlinuz from one of the deb's you suggested:
>
> > http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/pool/main/l/linux/linux-image-3.19.0-trunk-armmp-lpae_3.19.1-1~exp1_armhf.deb
>
> vmlinuz-3.19.0-trunk-armmp-lpae
> and its dtb:
> usr/lib/linux-image-3.19.0-trunk-armmp-lpae/sun7i-a20-bananapi.dtb
>
> Adjusted the u-boot commands accordingly (changing file name) and booted
> the same installer.  I didn't accidentally mix up the DTBs - the Linux
> 3.16 DTB doesn't work with Linux 3.19 (it won't boot)
>
> Exited to a shell:
>
> ~ # uname -a
> Linux (none) 3.19.0-trunk-armmp-lpae #1 SMP Debian 3.19.1-1~exp1
> (2015-03-08) armv7l GNU/Linux
>
> ~ # reboot
> Sent SIGKILL to all processes
> Requesting system reboot
> [   23.396238] reboot: Restarting system
>
> And there it hangs.

The setup you are using there is not clean and has never been
supported - you load a (heavily) modularized kernel 3.19 but
provide it with an installer initrd containing only modules for
kernel 3.16, so it might well be that the kernel tries to load
some required modules but fails to do so because of the version
mismatch.

Try to install a system as intended with kernel 3.16 and the
matching initrd - which does work for you as stated above - and
then install the kernel 3.19 package from experimental into
the final system.

Regards,
Karsten
--
Gem. Par. 28 Abs. 4 Bundesdatenschutzgesetz widerspreche ich der Nutzung
sowie der Weitergabe meiner personenbezogenen Daten für Zwecke der