Re: Debian uboot vs installer vs repositories incompatible versions

On Sat, 2015-03-21 at 22:54 +0100, Krutzbeuazen wrote:
> Dear list,
>
> I am trying to install Debian on my Cubietruck (think Raspberry Pi with
> Allwinner A20 ARM SOC). I made me a bootable SD card with the Debian
> installer [1], which comes from linux-sunxi, and is supposed to run on
> any Allwinner platform. However, to run on my board, it needed a new
> uboot, which I got from the Debian daily builds [2].
> [Someone guessed this is because my particular board doesn't run on some
> DRAM timings which are supposed to be safe]
>
> I can now boot that SD card, the Debian installer starts as well. At
> some point I get an error that it could not load a few modules, and that
> it could not find a compatible kernel (modules) in the repository.
> uname -a tells me "Linux 3.18.0-00018-g1f4f514

This is not the Debian installer kernel, or even one which is in Debian,
where did it come from?

d-i will only be able to find module matching the kernel in the Debian
release which that version of d-i targets.

*If* your kernel has sufficient drivers built in statically (i.e. not
requiring modules) then you might be able to just select option to
continue at the module warning question (I can't remember what the
polarity of the question is so I don't know if it is Yes or No).

> I am a bit lost here. Do I need to downgrade the uboot?

AFAICT your issue has nothing to do with the u-boot version, so I don't
think so.

I'd suggest that you follow the instructions from your second link,
which should Just Work:
> [2] https://wiki.debian.org/InstallingDebianOn/Allwinner#Creating_a_bootable_SD-Card_with_u-boot

Ian.