Re: [linux-sunxi] Backporting simplefb support to 3.16 kernel

Ian Campbell <ijc@hellion.org.uk> writes:

> https://wiki.debian.org/InstallingDebianOn/Allwinner says the platform
> is already there, so this should enable the FB given a suitably new
> u-boot.

reading
http://linux-sunxi.org/Linux_mainlining_effort
"
Merged into 3.19
      □ USB phy driver support for usb0
"
i think usb kernel support is missing in 3.16 or do i misunderstand/is
there a backport, too?

>> That would be really great (somehow didn't expect that, but I didn't
>> look at the diff from 3.16). Last time I looked u-boot in testing/jessie
>> was to old, too. Did someone look at that, too?
>
> I haven't and likely won't be looking at that.
>
> I've not looked but I think that backporting the u-boot side of the
> framebuffer changes would be too much given the freeze etc, but who
> knows...

after re-reading
https://wiki.debian.org/InstallingDebianOn/Allwinner
and looking at:
http://d-i.debian.org/daily-images/armhf/daily/u-boot/
i think those are the ones from the debian/unstable package
$ strings u-boot-sunxi-with-spl.bin |grep ^U-Boot
U-Boot SPL 2014.10+dfsg1-3 (Feb 21 2015 - 21:49:10)
https://packages.qa.debian.org/u/u-boot.html
"
testing
    save     2014.10+dfsg1-2
unstable
    save     2014.10+dfsg1-3
"

and as there will be a seperate step to setup the boot anyway
(https://wiki.debian.org/InstallingDebianOn/Allwinner#Pre-installation_preparations
"Pre-installation preparations") it maybe really isn't that important to
have simplefb in debian/jessie u-boot. On the other hand maybe
flash-kernel is supposed to also handle u-boot updates (didn't even know
this exists)?

--
Prisirah - Building digital photo frames for family and friends using
open-source hardware. http://karme.de/prisirah/