Re: Problems starting qemu vm using virsh / *.xml-file

On 26 August 2015 at 13:55, Guido Haase <guweha@web.de> wrote:
Hi folks,

after having started and got running my vexpress A15 machine on my
Cubietruck with jessie for armhf now fine using the qemu-system-arm
commandline:

If there is no solution I just need a way to start multiple qemu vm's
on boot. Sadly, qemu-system-arm option -daemonize doesn't work together
with the options -serial stdio or -nographic .

May be, anybody has a hint, a solution or a working .xml file for me.

The short answer is that libvirt is still mostly focused on x86 virtualisation, as you have found there are pockets of work on VMs on ARM but not much yet. The cpu issue for the Cubietruck is one that has bitten me before if you dig in the QEMU mailing list you'll find bug reports from me regarding it too.

The way to solve your problem is to use standard unix tools to run processes in the background, screen maybe the tool that you are looking for in this instance.

screen starts a new shell in a process which can be detached from the terminal you are using with ^A d