Re: Instructions for upgrading U-boot on Marvell OpenRD "Base" computer?

* Rick Thomas <rbthomas@pobox.com> [2015-05-31 19:11]:
> I’ve got an old Marvell OpenRD Base computer that I’d like to install Debian Jessie on.
>
> I believe that I’ll need to up-grade the u-boot on it to handle new features in the Jessie kernel.

I haven't had an OpenRD in years but back then I always used the
original u-boot without any problems.  Why do you think a new u-boot
is required for jessie?  Have you tried it and things are not working?

(After jessie, the kernel has been converted to DTB, but flash-kernel
already appends the correct DTB.)

> 1) Where to get a suitable u-boot image?  (Will the one at
>     https://people.debian.org/~tbm/u-boot/2014.10+dfsg1-4/openrd_ultimate/
> work?

No, the Ultimate and Base are different.  I just checked and I was
going to say that there's support for the Base in DENX.  However, I
noticed that even the Ultimate target was removed in Debian's u-boot
recently:
http://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/collab-maint/u-boot.git/commit/debian/targets?id=ea2f6ce84b7788cda2cb7deb29690cb368451e8c

So if you want to work out why it doesn't build and whether it boots,
I'm sure Vagrant Cascadian would be interested in hearing from you;
but it's probably easier to stay with the original u-boot unless that
has problems.

Unfortunately, it seems there aren't many OpenRD users left.

--
Martin Michlmayr
http://www.cyrius.com/