Re: Debian net install SD to emmc flash

On 2015-04-27, Nigel Sollars wrote:
> I was wondering if someone could give the steps of installing Jessie from a
> netinstall to a micro sd card ( say for a BeagleBone Black ) .. then when
> the install is complete,  what would be the requirements to push that to
> the emmc flash?.

Unfortunately, USB support on the BeagleBone Black won't work with
Debian's kernel, but if you don't need USB...

You should be able to put debian-installer on the SD card, and then
install directly to the eMMC:

  http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/dists/jessie/main/installer-armhf/current/images/hd-media/SD-card-images/README.concatenateable_images
  http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/dists/jessie/main/installer-armhf/current/images/hd-media/SD-card-images/

Or the netboot images:

  http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/dists/jessie/main/installer-armhf/current/images/netboot/SD-card-images/README.concatenateable_images
  http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/dists/jessie/main/installer-armhf/current/images/netboot/SD-card-images/

You'll need the workarounds mentioned here, and a USB-TTL serial cable
to get at the u-boot serial console:

  U-Boot# setenv devtype mmc
  U-Boot# setenv devnum 0
  U-Boot# setenv bootpart 1
  U-Boot# setenv console "ttyO0,115200n8"
  U-Boot# setenv bootargs "${bootargs} console=${console}"

You also may have to manually set bootargs on first boot, and then edit
/etc/default/flash-kernel from the booted system to always include the
console.

You might need to press the "boot" button to get it to boot off the SD
rather than the eMMC.

Support for the BBB in Debian is a little rough around the edges...

Good luck!

live well,
  vagrant