Re: Question about build box hardware

On 27/02/15 15:27, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
I believe raspian has managed failly well with an army of imx53qsb
systems, with 1GB ram and single core, but quite a lot of them.
Both Debian armhf and raspbian used those boards successfully during the wheezy release cycles, they coped in sufficient quantities (I think debian had 7, raspbian has 8) but some builds (e.g. many webkit variants) spent literally days in swap hell and at least one (pypy) outright refused to build because of the low ram.

The original model of the imx53 quickstart board had the problem that it needed a button push to turn it on, the later R model with a different PMIC boots at power on (yay) but will not supply power the USB port when running a Debian wheezy kernel (it did work when running the freescale kernel, I haven't tested with a post-wheezy Debian kernel).

In raspbian we are currently still building wheezy updates on the imx53 boards (I was meaning to move it over to the new infrastructure alongside jessie but haven't got round to it) but are building jessie stuff on quad core imx6 machines with 2GB of ram. For stuff like webkit the difference is night and day.

AIUI Debian stuck with the mx53 boards through much of the jessie cycle before replacing them fairly recently with some donated marvell boards (which I don't think are readilly available to us plebs), not sure if any of the IMX53 boards are still in use by Debian.

When they
started that was one of the cheapest and easiest to get systems with
1GB ram.  And some of us other debian arm users were recommending them. :)
Indeed, at the time the two main choices I was aware of that were reasonablly affordable and had 1GB of ram were the pandaboard and the imx53 quickstart board.

I was told at the time by people I trusted that ubuntu were having big problems with USB relibaility on the pandaboard. I understand these issues were later traced to a kernel bug but by that time our descision was long made.

Of course I would not reccomend either the IMX53 quickstart board or the pandaboard to someone starting now. The bang per buck is TERRIBLE by current standards.

Now a cubox-i4 might not be a bad choice either.  4 core Cortex-A9 with
2GB ram and SATA (something the arndale-octa does not have, it only has
onboard eMMC and a uSD slot, as well as a USB3 port).
AIUI That is substantially the same as the wandboard quads and nitrogen6x we use for raspbian jessie, just in a different form factor.

Those boards haven't been too bad in general with us. We have been having some crashes during iceweasel builds (strangely it very rarely crashes when building anything else but has a high probability of crashing when building iceweasel) but I have my suspiscions that those may be more down to btrfs than to our choice of board.

  Certainly the
quad A15 is faster than the quad A9, so the arndale is probably still
a faster compile system.
I would expect you are right, USB3 makes me nervous not so much because of performance as because USB in general does not see to be a particulally dependable storage interface (for example I have USB3 hard drives from a major hard drive vendor where mearly touching the cable gently will cause a dropout, this tells me something about how seriously the vendors take reliability on their USB products).