Re: Providing (armhf) u-boot images together with d-i images?

On Fri, 2015-01-02 at 08:59 -0800, Vagrant Cascadian wrote:
> On 2015-01-02, Ian Campbell wrote:
> > On Tue, 2014-12-30 at 13:42 -0800, Vagrant Cascadian wrote:
> >> On 2014-12-30, Ian Campbell wrote:
>
> >> I think the difference is one is a set of netboot images, and the other
> >> is a set of hd-media images.
> >
> > But what is the difference between these two things in this context?
> > Aren't they functionally identical from the users perspective?
>
> Differnt initrd with different modules, and defaults to loading a
> different set of udebs. The hd-media scans for .iso files, the netboot
> initrd requires to download remaining udebs using network...
>
> Technically, both images could be made to do either based on bootprompt
> options or something, but that probably would require rewriting a bit
> more of d-i.
[...]

> They're both typically used with sd-card, yes. But they differ in how
> they load the remaining portions of the installer, and have different
> modules and udebs in the initrds appropriate to the install
> media. Hopefully that's clear now? :)

Much, thanks.

But I still have a question about the hd-media sd-card images -- aren't
they only useful in concert with something which adds the .iso etc to
the image too? And therefore aren't they more usefully built along with
that iso? Otherwise how do you know how big to make the partition to
contain the iso at d-i build time given the varied sizes of .iso and
sd-card you can buy?

I think I'm probably just being dense here...

Ian.