Re: slug with lenny in flash and wheezy on filesystem

On Sun, Jan 4, 2015 at 6:51 PM, Mark Morgan Lloyd wrote:

> I was specifically talking about older *systems*, not chips.

Do you have any examples of particular systems that are no longer
supported? I suppose our RAM usage has increased beyond the
capabilities of some systems. The i386 architecture also had it's CPU
requirements upgraded, dropping some systems.

> Not a hope in Hell. Well, maybe 1%. Over the last year or so Oracle has
> succeeded in changing SPARC from a commodity architecture to something very
> similar to IBM's mainframes, and if Debian can't boot problems upstream for
> 32-bit SPARC there's no reason to assume that 64-bit will be any better.
>
> Even if unavoidable, the loss of SPARC (and/or SPARC64) is unfortunate since
> for about 10 years it was possible to pick up nice big SMP systems on eBay,
> which could exercise aspects of threading etc. that other architectures
> could not reach.

As long as the upstream GCC and Linux communities support SPARC, it
should be reasonably easy to re-bootstrap a port if anyone cares.

> I'm definitely not blaming Debian for anything, but there are still
> occasional rumblings in areas like the Free pascal Compiler due to residual
> library path issues.

IIRC those were bugs in fpc that were exposed by multiarch existing;
they were hard-coding paths instead of asking GCC.

Do you know of any other multiarch related issues?

--
bye,
pabs

https://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise