issues with experimental kernels on imx6 based boards.

I have some imx6 based boards which work as autobuilders for raspbian. I use btrfs for efficient snapshotting and have had some issues (crashes, weird filesystem errors) which I suspect are down to btrfs. As such i've been frequently upgradeing the kernel to the latest versions from experimental in the hope that the issues will be fixed upstream.

There are a total of six boards. Five wandboard quads (one hosted at my flat, four hosted at bytemark), and one nitrogen6x, the wandboard quads are running a mostly wheezy system while the nitrogen6x is running a mostly jessie system.

On all the systems the boot files and ext4 root filesystem is on a micro SD card while a hard drive is used for buildd related stuff (btrfs) and swap. The wandboards have a seperate ext2 boot partition while the nitrogen6x has /boot on the root partition.

Currently there are (among others) the following kernels installed on the boards.

linux-image-3.16-trunk-armmp version 3.16-1~exp1
linux-image-3.17-1-armmp version 3.17-1~exp1
linux-image-3.18.0-trunk-armmp version 3.18-1~exp1

linux-image-3.16-trunk-armmp seemed to work ok without any tweaking.
linux-image-3.17-1-armmp seemed to work ok without any tweaking on the wandboard quads but it failed to boot with a timeout waiting for rootfs. I was able to get it to boot by doing "lsmod | cut -d ' ' -f 1 >> /etc/initramfs-tools/modules" (while running 3.16) and then rebuilding the initrd for 3.17, i'll try to investigate further whether this is reproducable with later versions of initramfs-tools and if-so what modules exactly are missing. linux-image-3.18.0-trunk-armmp, this failed on the nitrogen6x in the same way as 3.17, I haven't debugged that issue further yet. On the wandboard quad it booted but /dev was nearly empty and udev was failing to start, I tried upgrading udev first to the wheezy-backports version and then to the jessie version but while udev claimed to start successfully it still didn't seem to actually start managing /dev. Is anyone aware of any udev incompatibilities with 3.18?