Re: Providing (armhf) u-boot images together with d-i images?

On Wed, Dec 03, 2014 at 03:10:37PM -0800, Vagrant Cascadian wrote:
> On 2014-12-03, Karsten Merker wrote:
> > several armhf systems do not have u-boot (or another firmware) in
> > non-volatile (i.e. ROM/Flash) memory, but instead store their
> > system firmware on a removable medium such as an SD card.
> > Debian provides appropriate u-boot images for several supported
> > systems in the u-boot-{exynos,imx,omap,sunxi} packages, but those
> > are not easily accessible to somebody who does not already run a
> > Debian/armhf system (or at least Debian on another architecture),
> > so I am wondering whether we should offer these u-boot images
> > (in unpacked form) together with the d-i images, similar to what
> > we do with the device-tree files extracted from the linux-image
> > package.
[snip]
> For images such as hd-media, we'd ideally want to provide complete
> u-boot + kernel + initrd ( + gtk initrd) images, which would grow each
> image considerably.
[snip]
> I'd be happy to put a bit more time into it, especially if we can get
> support in for Jessie's debian-installer.

Hello,

just to avoid double work: I have recently started working on implementing
image building support (both for "bare" u-boot images as well as for "full"
images with u-boot + kernel + initrd) and I hope to find some time over
Christmas to finish a working prototype.

Regards,
Karsten
--
Gem. Par. 28 Abs. 4 Bundesdatenschutzgesetz widerspreche ich der Nutzung
sowie der Weitergabe meiner personenbezogenen Daten für Zwecke der