Re: Providing (armhf) u-boot images together with d-i images?

On Sat, Dec 6, 2014 at 12:46 PM, Karsten Merker <merker@debian.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 03, 2014 at 03:10:37PM -0800, Vagrant Cascadian wrote:
>
> [providing u-boot images for armhf platforms that do not have
>  u-boot in non-volatile storage]
>
>> Simply extracting the relevent u-boot files doesn't seem like enough to
>> me. They still need to be installed at particular offsets to the raw SD
>> card, or in some cases, to a fat partition on the SD card, though may be
>> fussy about exactly where on the fat partition it resides in a rather
>> hair-pulling way... so providing just the binaries makes it a little
>> easier, but not a whole lot.
>
> I guess it would make sense to provide both the "naked" u-boot
> binaries for people who want to manually write them to an SD card
> that already contains a partition table without destroying it,
> and an additional tiny disk image (<1MB) that contains u-boot at
> the proper place (but nothing else, i.e. no partition table if
> not needed for u-boot), which can be written with common disk
> image handling tools.  The latter would make life a lot easier
> for people setting up the installer from Windows for example.
>
>> Providing complete u-boot images for each platform would be 19 images
>> for jessie, though each one is fairly small (each between
>> 0.5-1M). Though I don't think we've consolidated all documentation
>> needed to generate all those platforms with the correct offsets (though
>> many are all the same, such as sunxi).
>
> I only know those for sunxi and i.MX6:
>
> - sunxi:
>   combined image (SPL + main image) at offset 8kB
>
> - i.MX6:
>   SPL at offet 1kB
>   main image at offset 42kB
>
> @debian-arm: Could somebody provide this information for i.MX53
> and OMAP?

omap bootrom's with the introduction of the omap4 can be dd'ed liked
sunxi/i.mx5/5..

dd if=MLO of=/dev/sdX count=1 seek=1 conv=notrunc bs=128k
dd if=u-boot.img of=/dev/sdX count=2 seek=1 conv=notrunc bs=384k

That just leaves the omap3 family (BeagleBoard (omap34/35xx) &
BeagleBoard xM (omap36xx/DM3730) stuck with reading the MLO/u-boot.img
on "boot"* partition.

* mainline u-boot now has patches to enable extX boot vs fat boot, but
it's an either "or" situation based on sram memory size..

Regards,
--
Robert Nelson
http://www.rcn-ee.com/