Re: booting the samsung chromeboot xe303c12 with the debian armmp kernel

On Mon, 2014-11-17 at 08:13 +0000, David Edmondson wrote:

> >> I think we could pretty safely enable that, although I'd be much happier
> >> if someone could try it first. I don't think I have any relevant h/w in
> >> the right places.
> >
> > Good catch! I will try to rebuild the kernel over the weekend enabling
> > the simplefb and test again, and report back.
>
> Having built a kernel[1] with CONFIG_FB_SIMPLE and adding the
> flash-kernel support, I can properly generate the kernel, initrd and dtb
> images, but the result still doesn't usefully boot.
>
> When I run 'bootm ...' there is some text printed by the loader (much as
> before CONFIG_FB_SIMPLE), and then the screen clears to blank.

I don't know a whole lot about this fb simple stuff, but doesn't it
require the bootloader to pass in some DT nodes telling it where it
ended up putting things? Does the u-boot you have do that? The protocol
was only recently agreed (although there was some sort of precursor in
the field).

Sorry to be so fluffy, I only have the vaguest notion of how any of this
stuff fits together...

>  I recall
> from a previous attempt at this some months ago that it can take a while
> for the kernel to use the framebuffer, but after 10 minutes nothing has
> changed. The access light on the USB stick (which has nv-uboot, /boot
> and /) has not lit.
>
> The screen clearing to blank is new - that didn't happen with the
> previous kernel - so I'm trying to presume that it's a good sign ;-)

;-)

> Footnotes:
> [1]  Which took many hours on a Banana Pi...

I bet it did!

FWIW I often build on x86 with the aarch64-linux-gnu-gcc cross compiler
from Linaro in my $PATH and
 dpkg-buildpackage -aarmhf -<other usual options>

IIRC I had to add a symlink because Linaro's compiler includes more/less
elements of the version number compared to what the kernel build system
expects (i.e. ...-gcc-4.8 vs ...-gcc-4.8.3 etc, I don't recall which way
round it was though...)

Ian.