Re: Stuck QNAP TS-119

On Mon, 2014-09-29 at 00:34 -0400, Dave wrote:
> OK, after burning most of the weekend, I finally have a booting TS-119
> once more.
>
> The culprit (probably one of many - there was much wire-pulling and
> reinstalling) was qcontrold running as part of rcS.d - it (or perhaps its
> init script) never let the machine get to runlevel 2, where everything
> else takes off. killing or nicely stopping qcontrold let the machine
> immediately start its runlevel 2 boot.
>
> I removed the startup link to qcontrold from rcS.d and now the machine
> boots as expected. (more damage to repair, but that was expected...).
>
> Does anyone have an idea of why qcontrold wound up in rcS.d, if it would
> prevent the machine from booting? Perhaps it's dependent upon something
> else I'm not seeing.

It's there so it gets in early to disable/kick the hardware watchdog on
platforms which have it. It needs to be before potentially long running
things like fsck etc.

It's not supposed to block though...

There was a bug *ages* ago which would block, which version of qcontrol
do you have? . I can't find that original bug, and my memory is too
vague to recall anything more about that case. It's unlikely to be the
same thing IMO, just similar symptoms.

Now that you have a booting system what happens if you start the rcS.d
script by hand?

> Would be interested in having any QNAP TS-11x owner confirm or deny that
> S14qcontrold is in his/her rcS.d on Wheezy.

I have /etc/rcS.d/S16qcontrold on a TS-41x, but I think variance in the
number is expected. It should be present (with some number or other) on
all systems.

Ian.