build a package for Raspberry PI

Hi,

If I set up a Debian Wheezy armhf environment, and build packages, why do those packages not work on Raspberry Pi ? The built package when run on the RPi errors out with "Illegal Instruction".

I read about using the armel port, but given that RPi itself is such a low capable hardware, and then running something which isn't optimized for it, the overall output will be very inefficient.

How do I build package optimized for RPI Raspian, on a Debian Wheezy box ?