recent armel/armhf kernels ENOMEM on mprotect, maxima/axiom FTBFS

Greetings!  Recently, some change has been introduced into the 32bit arm
kernels (apparently) which is blocking maxima and axiom, and perhaps
others.  These programs rely on mprotecting various pages read-only to
accelerate garbage collection, an algorithm which has worked on arm for
many years.  Now, after a relatively few calls, mprotect returns ENOMEM,
indicating (perhaps) that the kernel table size for this information has
been decreased.  When run under gdb, the calls succeed, which is a
mystery to me.

In any case, I can turn this algorithm off if this is likely to be a
permanent condition on these machines.  If this is rather a bug, please
let me know if I can assist in fixing it.

Take care,
--
Camm Maguire			     		    camm@maguirefamily.org