Re: Cubox-i-notes questions

Hi Ian,

sorry for the delayed response.

On Wednesday 23 July 2014 10:43:37 you wrote:
> Hi Rainer,
> Thanks for your reply. Your comments make sense to me so I'll give them a
> go.  My aim was to get a solid Debian installation which was easy to
> maintain.

Similar here.

> Debian jessie could likely go final around December and
> predictions are the jessie kernel will be 3.16. My hope is full support for
> the Cubox hardware is mainlined into the 3.16 by then - a year after I
> purchased the device.

I am not a kernel expert, but I have not seen significant work going into the
3.16 kernel for imx6.

If you need video or wireless, I recommend to use either the 3.0.x or the
3.10.x kernel from solid-run. Be aware that the 3.10.x kernel has some bugs,
e.g.

https://github.com/rabeeh/android-imx6-kitkat/issues/3

I have not done that myself yet, though.

There are rumors that there is work ongoing to port the patches to a more
recent kernel. I hope this helps then getting the patches mainlined.

> Setting up a cubox has been a lot harder than I
> imagined and I've spent a lot of time on it so I'm really happy with your
> docs.

Thanks, I was hoping that they are useful for some people and indeed quite a
few people seem to read my notes.

> I'll have more feedback for you soon.  Regarding your SD card setup. I note
> you started the first partition around 8M instead of 2M. Was this to future
> proof?

That was how my SD card was partitioned when I bought it. I thought that is
done, because there is an 8 kB erase block size, it is a good idea to stick
with 8kB blocks. Also the boundary between swap and root partition is on an 8
kB boundary.

> The size of your swap partition choice was unclear when I was
> following.  Would you consider adding a note on this and use human readable
> fdisk partition values like +100M etc?

Thanks, I will add the note.

> Are you happy with your cubox running kernel 3.14 from the jessie distro?

I am running 3.15 (and realize that now 3.16 is in experimental):

rd@home:~$ uname -a
Linux home 3.15-trunk-armmp #1 SMP Debian 3.15.5-1~exp1 (2014-07-10) armv7l
GNU/Linux
rd@home:~$ apt-cache policy linux-image-3.15-trunk-armmp
linux-image-3.15-trunk-armmp:
  Installed: 3.15.5-1~exp1
  Candidate: 3.15.5-1~exp1
  Version table:
 *** 3.15.5-1~exp1 0
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
rd@home:~$ apt-cache search linux-image
linux-headers-3.14-2-armmp - Header files for Linux 3.14-2-armmp
linux-headers-3.14-2-armmp-lpae - Header files for Linux 3.14-2-armmp-lpae
linux-image-3.14-2-armmp - Linux 3.14 for ARMv7 multiplatform compatible SoCs
linux-image-3.14-2-armmp-lpae - Linux 3.14 for ARMv7 multiplatform compatible
SoCs supporting LPAE
linux-image-armmp - Linux for ARMv7 multiplatform compatible SoCs (meta-
package)
linux-image-armmp-lpae - Linux for ARMv7 multiplatform compatible SoCs
supporting LPAE (meta-package)
linux-headers-3.16-rc6-armmp - Header files for Linux 3.16-rc6-armmp
linux-headers-3.16-rc6-armmp-lpae - Header files for Linux 3.16-rc6-armmp-lpae
linux-image-3.16-rc6-armmp - Linux 3.16-rc6 for ARMv7 multiplatform compatible
SoCs
linux-image-3.16-rc6-armmp-lpae - Linux 3.16-rc6 for ARMv7 multiplatform
compatible SoCs supporting LPAE
linux-image-3.15-trunk-armmp - Linux 3.15 for ARMv7 multiplatform compatible
SoCs
linux-image-3.14-1-armmp - Linux 3.14 for ARMv7 multiplatform compatible SoCs
rd@home:~$

I think quite a number of fixes went into 3.15.

> The debian website suggests using enablement patches to get full hardware
> support, I looked at the date of the patches and it seem unclear how to
> keep the patches up to date with latest updates going happening in Debian
> kernel land.

I have not tried that either.

Rainer

--