Re: Debian platform firmware strategy?

On Wed, 2 Jul 2014 10:24:31 +0800
Paul Wise <pabs@debian.org> wrote:

> Hi all,

Hi Paul,

[...]

> What should Debian's strategy/policy wrt platform firmware be?
>
> Currently it seems to be just leave the platform firmware alone and
> leave it up to the user to research if they can install libre
> firmware.
>
> I'm thinking we should promote using Free Software where possible and
> packaged versions of that Free Software where possible. Due to the
> possibility of unforeseeable circumstances, that promotion should
> probably only consist of a default-to-no suggestion to replace
> existing platform firmware if only intending to use Debian on the
> device.

[Ok, I don't think I've ever actually publicly expressed my opinion of
my past employer, but at least regarding this topic I can now say
that they were extremely short-sighted.]

The past experience with the Genesi EfikaMX fiasco -removal from
mainline kernel- has taught me one important lesson: deviation from
mainline can only be a bad thing in the long run. Vendors who provide
their own uboot/kernel forks are left with the burden of maintaining
them and once they don't have capable engineers of doing that anymore
the support is just left to rot or removed altogether. Without going
into details, suffice to say that I was the one to constantly urge the
company to hire known and competent contractors (I've even pointed to
the right direction) to properly upstream support for the platform into
both uboot but particularly into kernel. Of course I was never heard,
management just ignored my suggestion, mainly because of cost issues -I
don't think that's a valid reason to be honest, but it was not my
money in the end.

Anyway, that never happened, and the existing engineers more often than
not, either did not have the experience or skills to do it -like me- or
when they did, they lacked the time because of other pressing issues
-like getting support for the upcoming hardware into the
by-that-time-ancient selected kernel. The end result was that while
EfikaMX was quite a popular device in 2010-11, since last year it ended
up being nothing more than a doorstop because of mainline support -or
lack thereof. It saddens me because I still have many of those devices
all in perfectly working order, but I can't run any recent kernel (the
last version is a 3.8 that I hacked together from various patches from
rtp and others, but it's a terrible hack), let alone install recent
Debian on them. And don't even mention DT for the Efikas. And given the
abundance of properly supported hardware nowadays, it's even harder to
convince people with skills to work towards fixing the situation.

Anyway, given the above experience, and given that most vendors stop
supporting their own devices after only a couple of years -if it
even reaches that long- and users would be lucky to get any future
support at all, I would actually suggest that Debian goes
pro-active on this and actually promotes a default-to-yes suggestion
for removal the existing firmware. It's definitely going to piss off
some vendors, but in the long run this actually suits them better as
well, as they will get longer support from their products and it
*might* push them towards better mainlining of their patches into
u-boot.

I obviously don't expect everyone to share my view on this matter, but
since I and many others got bitten by this lack of foresight on behalf
of this vendor I think it's important to at least share this view with
all of you people, perhaps some other vendors might also be reading this
list. I don't have any expectations that they will somehow change their
strategies, but hopefully it may give some extra incentives to think
twice about holding back from proper mainlining in both uboot and
kernel.

My 2c.

Konstantinos