Re: Debian on Synology Armada 370/XP NAS boxes

On Mon, 2014-05-19 at 22:10 +0200, Alexander Pohl wrote:
> >> I think that is the case here (factory image is horribly broken) as I am
> >> not able to get the kernel to boot (see my other post).
> > It would be very unusual for a u-boot to be so broken that it couldn't
> > bootm with an appended DTB (assuming it boots the factory kernel OK).
> >
> > Things to check:
> >        * Appending the correct DTB for the platform?
> >        * Using the correct load address to mkimage?
> >        * Setting bootargs correctly? (in particular console=)
> >
> > The correct load address for mkimage can be obtained by grabbing the
> > factory kernel and running mkimage -l on it. The rest should be easy to
> > figure out by looking at the factory environment with printenv (feel
> > free to post it if you want advice).
> >

> - I've appended armada-370-mirabox.dtb to linux-image-3.13-1-armmp-lpae
> from jessie. I don't know if that is correct or not.

Me neither, is "mirabox" the name of the platform you are using? I don't
think it is (mirabox isn't a synology product, is it?).

But even if it isn't the right board it is the right SoC so I'd expect
serial might possibly work, but maybe your platform uses a different
UART.

Nothing stood out as wrong in the rest of your mail so I'm afraid you
next step will likely have to be finding or writing a proper DTB for
your platform. Probably you'll have more luck with asking about that
upstream than here. Once the upstream kernel works on the system Debian
support is mostly pretty simple.

Ian.