Re: is debian debootstrap arch dependent ? or broken- its BROKEN

On Tue, 20 May 2014 01:17:09 +0100
Wookey <wookey@wookware.org> wrote:

> +++ RichardBown [2014-05-19 23:01 +0100]:
> > On Mon, 19 May 2014 16:56:06 -0400

> > But if I can cut and paste from one of the lines which failed with
> > debootstap and then down load the same file with success with wget,
> > that point to one thing and one thing only
> > deboostrap.
> > its at the point where it determines the arch of the system in use,
> > and fail with a pogoplug , as it uses dpkg, and dpkg is not in the
> > pogoplug busybox.
>
> So you are running on a busybox system? Trying to debootstrap debian?
> (Sorry I've not followed all this in much detail)
>
> I've had trouble like this where busybox had it's own version of
> dpkg-deb which was just about sufficient to unpack a deb but was a
> very minimalist implemntation so failed to work with the options
> deboostrap used. (dpkg-deb --fsys-tarfile)
>
> If dpkg-deb is not present then it just uses 'ar' which will work
> fine.
>
> I wonder if you are running into a similar problem? (see if you have a
> dpkg-deb in your busybox - if you do you'll need to fix
> /usr/share/debootstrap/functions to remove 'dpkg-deb' from
> theEXTRACTORS_SUPPORTED variable).
>
> downloading happens in the just_get function. I see there is an
> option to pre-download all the debs - that might be helpful.(set the
> URL to null: instead of http://)
>
> debootrstrp itself uses wget to do the downloads, so if it works for
> you manually then the question is why isn't it working in the script?
>
> I'd try turning on -x in /usr/sbin/debootstrap
> and/or /usr/share/debootstrap/functions and see what commands are
> actually being issued. That should let you see what's breaking.
>

> > So it doesn't know what its downloading for, so everything will seem
> > corrupted.
> > I guess I could start debootstrap with the arch switch set for
> > armel, but I should have to edit a package, and then there is the
> > problem of downloading the package, editing, then unloading to my
> > web site so I cam use wget to load it on the pogoplug.
>
> It looks like it is (trying to) download armel already so I don't
> follow you here.
> > I dont know about other armel devices, but if some developer hadn't
> > decided that the load to usb stick installer would no longer be
> > available for armel, still available for armhf.
> >
> > As far as the pogoplug and anything else that uses the same version
> > of Busybox DEBOOTSTRAP IS BROKEN.
>
> debootstrap goes to a lot of trouble to try and run in 'any old'
> environment, but this can go wrong, as I described above. It's also
> not very well tested as it usually is used on debian systems. If you
> can work out what's wrong and submit a fix or bugrep it's quite like
> to improve this for those that follow.
>
> > Shame, I prefer debian to arch linux as pacman is a PITA so is the
> > netctl implementation, but I'm stuck with it as their install method
> > is to load a tar ball and install the base system from that.

> [...]

Hi Wookey

The latter you mention was one of the first things I tried, BUT it
didn't install a kernel and did configure :)
So thats when I went back to trying to get the installer working.
Most of the flash on the pogoplug is write protected and a real pain to
get thins out, I thought I'd found rerunning the uboot installer
cleared it, but the one time it did was a fluke.

there's no version of dpkg on the pogoplug busybox at all, so ar does
get used.
but wget when used by debootstrap is misbehaving, run manually its OK.
the only way I can edit a file is to get the original on this laptop,
edit it, upload to my website, then download to the pogoplug with wget.

Also the pogoplug decided it wasn't going to play any more,

so I just left it getting pinged and powercycled frequently.
After about two hours it returned a ping, so i just used fw_env to use
a ext3 file system in and plugged the Arch linux memory stick back in
and the webcam server is back up.
I need to replace the computer upstairs, I'm fed up with the
intermittant SATA controller on it, so looking for an ARM machine,
maybe a tablet, it need to have two audio inputs as well as o/p and
needs to be fast enough to run WSJT, so that can have Deb on it.
So maybe a tablet with an audio interface ????

But for now the pogoplug can stay as is.
It really is a pogopig.

Best wishes /73
Richard Bown
Email : richard@g8jvm.com
HTTP  :  http://www.g8jvm.com
nil carborundum a illegitemis
Ham Call G8JVM . OS Linux Mint 16 x86_64 on a Dell Inspiron N5030 laptop
Maidenhead QRA: IO82SP38, LAT. 52 39.720' N LONG. 2 28.171 W
QRV VHF 6mtrs 200W, 4 mtrs 150W, 2mtrs 400W, 70cms 200W
Microwave 23 cms 140W, 13 cms 100W, 6 cms 0W & 3cms 5W