Re: Booting armmp kernel on Beaglebone Black

On Tue, Apr 22, 2014 at 07:52:25AM -0500, Robert Nelson wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 21, 2014 at 8:34 PM, James Valleroy
> <james.valleroy@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but I am looking for some
> > help in booting the linux-image-armmp kernel on the Beaglebone Black.
> > I am building an SD card image using the freedom-maker tool [0], which
> > is a wrapper around vmdebootstrap. The image has a FAT boot partition
> > and ext4 root partition.

> > I run a script inside vmdebootstrap's chroot to set up the boot
> > partition. It copies over the MLO and u-boot.img (from debian u-boot
> > package), creates uEnv.txt, and sets up zImage and dtbs.

> > The 1st version of this script [1] uses the kernel deb package and
> > dtbs from rcn-ee.net. I can copy the image to an SD card and boot it
> > on the BBB.

> > The 2nd version of this script [2] uses the kernel and dtbs from
> > debian's linux-image-armmp package. But I can't get farther than
> > "Starting kernel ..." (log is at [3]).

> > Any suggestions on how I can get the armmp kernel to boot on BBB?

> I need to review my full config delta against armmp, but let's start with
> mmc:

> CONFIG_TI_EDMA needs to be builtin.

Why?  I don't know anything about this setting, but I note you said "built
in", and not "enabled", implying that it's a driver.  Why should
kernel+dtb+initramfs not allow this driver to be dynamically loaded for the
hardware where it's needed?

OTOH, maybe the problem is the poster is trying to boot without an
initramfs... (no mention of an initramfs in the pastebin...)