Re: ConcurrencyKit (libck0 package) on ARM?

Hi,

On Thu, Apr 10, 2014 at 03:56:41PM +0200, Daniel Pocock wrote:
> Upstream says that armel can't be supported:
> https://groups.google.com/d/msg/concurrencykit/I34MWr_mK8Q/sKeh1Ro3eAYJ

> Should I go back to the Ganglia community and suggest moving away from
> ConcurrencyKit?

In case ConcurrencyKit developers are not interested in portablity, I suggest
to Ganglia community to add a portable fallback in case ck is not available.

> Could anybody with more ARM expertise than myself provide any more
> feedback to upstream about how this package could work in Debian?

Looking at ck sources briefly, ck could possibly have a backend
based on gcc atomic builtins[0]. It would not be very fast, but
should be guaranteed to work on debian archs.

> As a compromise, we could ensure the Ganglia agent (gmond) builds
> without this dependency but the data collection server (gmetad package)
> would only build on i386 or amd64

I think anyone seriously interested in ganglia would be using armhf
(or in future arm64), which already works with ck. So this compromise
could indeed work, at least as long as ganglia upstream keeps gmond
portable.

Riku

[0] http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc/_005f_005fatomic-Builtins.html