Running OABI executables on armhf

Hello,

got an A20/CubieTruck and was wondering whether it's still possbile to
run old ABI executables. So I re-compiled the sunxi kernel (3.4.79)
with CONFIG_OABI_COMPAT=y but no avail: "Illegal instruction" for both
busybox (from busybox-static_1.10.2-2_arm.deb) and any program in a
lenny arm chroot. On armel hardware, at least busybox runs fine.

Is running old ABI binaries still supposed to work on armhf, so
something is wrong on my side? If yes, where should I start to look?

    Christoph