Re: GL/gl.h, Qt5 and arm: FTBFS

On Mon, 24 Mar 2014 12:43:42 -0700
Steve Langasek <vorlon@debian.org> wrote:
> Correct.  It is rare to find accelerated OpenGL drivers for ARM;
> almost all the drivers out there, particularly for recent hardware,
> will be GLES2 instead.  This means that any reasonably GL-intensive
> app is going to be unusable, particularly on armel.

FWIW, Vivante drivers for the iMX6 do include a hw-accelerated
libGL.so, which I understand works but under special circumstances
(single-context OpenGL, or something like that). Of course it's not
packaged for Debian (yet?), so it doesn't affect us at this point, but
it might be in the future. It's not really advertised, but I do
remember it mentioned in the official presentation of the iMX6
(FTF2011), that it also supports OpenGL and not just OpenGLES.

> I don't think it makes sense to build Qt for OpenGL on arm.

Even with the exception of the iMX6, I still think this is the right
path.

> > d) (also supossing it's possible) do not consider the FTBFS not RC
> > (or allow it's transition even if it's RC) until a better fix could
> > be done.
>
> The way to address this is to ask for the old arm binaries to be
> removed from the archive, via a bug report against ftp.debian.org,
> with the explanation that qantenna is not supported on GLES2
> architectures.  This is a perfectly reasonable thing to do under the
> circumstances.  Particularly given that qantenna has always required
> GLU, and is unsupportable now because GLU is not usable with Qt5 on
> arm*, I think this is the right thing to do.

Perhaps get some GSOC projects to port some of the failing from GL to
GLES might be a good idea in the future?

Konstantinos