qcontrol/ttyS1 on QNAP TS-421

I'm trying to get qcontrol / ttyS1 to work with the default QNAP kernel and I just cannot seem to get it to do anything.

# echo -n g > /dev/ttyS1
-bash: echo: write error: Input/output error

# qcontrol --direct watchdog off
Failed to set attributes for /dev/ttyS1: Input/output error

Normally I would expect that this might happen if the driver isn't loaded, but I tried loading all the .ko files I could find on the stock setup and I still get this.

The stock firmware doesn't use devfs all the device nodes are pre-created, but the device node is there:

# ls -la /dev/ttyS1
crw-rw---- 1 root dialout 4, 65 Feb 14 23:27 /dev/ttyS1

Is this the correct node? What should the major/minor numbers be?

If I move /etc/qcontrol.conf there is no error message from qcontrol, but the watchdog remains active and the machine reboots after 5 minutes.

Am I missing something obvious here?

Gordan