Re: boottime usb-host support in ARMMP for cubietruck

On Tue, 16 Dec 2014 07:38:39 +0000
Ian Campbell <ijc@hellion.org.uk> wrote:

> On Mon, 2014-12-15 at 23:35 +0000, Neil Williams wrote:
> > On Mon, 15 Dec 2014 22:32:41 +0000
> > Ian Campbell <ijc@hellion.org.uk> wrote:

> > > Do you have phy-sun4i-usb loaded? Might it be missing from the
> > > initrd?
> > >
> > > Ian.
> >
> > \o/ - however, I can currently only get phy-sun4i-usb &
> > ohci-platform to modprobe *after* the boot has fallen back to the
> > initramfs. It's ignoring /etc/modules ....
> >
> > What's the permanent way to add this to the initramfs for future
> > updates? I'm assuming I'll need an initramfs hook?
>
> /etc/initramfs-tools/modules should do it, I think.

Indeed. I now have a working USB boot on cubietruck. Thanks Ian!

For those who may be interested, I started with a standard Debian
install onto a SATA drive. Then formatted the USB stick to ext2 and
debootstrapped jessie onto it - remember to chroot in and set a
password. The extra bit is to add these two modules
to /etc/initramfs-tools/modules when still booted into the image on the
SATA drive:

phy-sun4i-usb
ohci-platform

Then update-initramfs -u whilst running the SATA image and copy the
files from /boot/ to the boot/ directory on the stick.

Once this is working, the USB stick will tend to be picked up
as /dev/sda and the SATA as /dev/sdb which is a tad confusing at first.

--

Neil Williams