Re: cross-compilation, native compilation, or chroot compilation for armhf

On Sat, Nov 15, 2014 at 10:21:32PM +0100, Rainer Dorsch wrote:
> I am wondering you build .deb packages for armhf. Do you build on a native
> armhf machine, do you build in a chroot environment with qemu-static or do you
> have a cross compilation environment setup?

We use native compiles (in chroots) for our official builds, but do use
cross compiler in chroot to speed up debugging and such.

Of course far from everything can be cross compiled easily, but things
like the kernel is quite easy to do and one of the otherwise pretty time
consuming things to build.

Current build machine we use is an arndale octa (which gives you four
Cortex-A15 cores at 1.8GHz and 2GB ram for about $200).  A SATA SSD is
attached via a USB3 adapter for swap space.

> If you have a cross-compilation setup, can you give a pointer how you set it
> up?

Followed the instructions in README.Cross in the gcc-4.7 source package as
well as the binutils package, and use dpkg-cross for any needed packages.

Should be simpler in jessie since I believe it now supports building gcc
for cross compiling that works with multiarch installed packages which
gets rid of dpkg-cross and makes dependancies much nicer to deal with.

--
Len Sorensen