Re: armhf Installer Image

On Mon, Nov 10, 2014 at 11:52:54PM +0100, Rainer Dorsch wrote:

> I am wondering if there is a debian installer image for armhf for cubox-
> i/armhf.
>
> If yes, any documentation on how the installer process works (e.g. boots from
> USB, installs on micro sd card, etc. or boots from micro SD and also installs
> on micro SD etc.) would be helpful for me.

Hello,

I do not have any Cubox hardware, so I can only provide some
generic advice.  At least the Cubox-i2eX and the Cubox-i4Pro
should be supported by the Debian armmp kernel (cf.
http://d-i.debian.org/manual/en.armhf/ch02s01.html).
Booting a netboot installer image by TFTP is described at
http://d-i.debian.org/manual/en.armhf/ch05s01.html.

Daily-built netboot images are available at
http://d-i.debian.org/daily-images/armhf/daily/netboot/ and
the device-tree files for the supported systems are at
http://d-i.debian.org/daily-images/armhf/daily/device-tree/.

We have recently added support for hd-media images, i.e. booting
the installer from a USB stick, to d-i, but this works "out of
the box" only on systems that have a very recent u-boot version
(v2014.10) with support for the new common u-boot bootcmd
handling framework.  Most vendor-supplied u-boot versions are
probably still based on older releases.  Booting the installer
from a USB stick on armhf is not yet documented in the
installation guide (that is still on my todo list), but some
information is available in the Debian wiki at

https://wiki.debian.org/InstallingDebianOn/Allwinner#Installing_from_a_USB_stick

If the system's u-boot is older, but has support for loading the
kernel/initrd/dtb from a USB mass storage device, booting the
hd-media installer from a USB stick should still be possible, but
you would have to do it "by hand" instead of using the autoboot
framework provided by newer u-boot versions.

If you have further questions, feel free to ask.

Regards,
Karsten
--
Gem. Par. 28 Abs. 4 Bundesdatenschutzgesetz widerspreche ich der Nutzung
sowie der Weitergabe meiner personenbezogenen Daten für Zwecke der