Stuck QNAP TS-119

Hi all, first post here.

I have a TS-119 that's been running Wheezy without complaint for a very
long time. So long that I've had Wheezy since it was "testing", and I'd
accidentally left my sources.list set up with "testing". So you can guess
what happened.

In racing to update bash, I accidentally overwrote Wheezy with Jessie
(which is now "testing". This managed to break a bunch of stuff, so I
figured out how to pin and roll back to Wheezy.

Unfortunately, I'm currently stuck: the machine boots up to the end of the
rcS.d scripts and stops. (I've observed this by hooking a serial console
up to the TS-119). I've managed to enable an interactive root console via
serial: the /boot partition never gets mounted, and / is mounted as
read-only.

I've tried to manually get ssh running (so I'd have a little easier time
banging on things - my serial terminal does no emulation), but I can't
currently get it working: it appears to start, but doesn't serve up a
connection. (though eth0 gets the correct router-assigned DHCP IP
address).

I'd like very much to fix this without flashing back to stock and wiping
my entire Debian install, and it seems like I'm close: if I could just get
it to finish booting, I'd have ssh back and be able to maintain the thing.

Can anyone suggest boot parameters to get this thing to boot like it
should, and how I'd apply them in UBOOT? (keep in mind, while I've been
around linux for quite a while, I've never booted a machine by hand, nor
used UBOOT at all. I'm more accustomed to grub params).

Assuming I can get booted (or maybe now, since I can already get a root
console), how do I flash the correct startup image without bricking the
device?

Any assistance is appreciated!

DC