Re: fpc on arm64

Paul Gevers wrote:
[please cc me, I am not subscribed]

Hi all,

I have the intention to briefly try out if I can get fpc (the FreePascal
Compiler) to run on arm64, allowing several build dependent packages to
also build. (That is, when not somebody else is already busy with that).
I don't know if fpc is capable of doing at all,
Freepascal compiles directly to assembler so getting it to run on a new CPU family means MAJOR porting work.

There is some attempt at an arm64 port upstream ( http://svn.freepascal.org/cgi-bin/viewvc.cgi/trunk/compiler/aarch64/ ) but it doesn't look like it's been significantly touched in over a year and http://bugs.freepascal.org/view.php?id=25042 suggests it's not in a usable state.

I suspect that when this does arrive it will be too big/intrusive to easilly backport so I suspect we will have to wait for a new major upstream release after they get it working.

Sadly I think it's highly unlikely we will see an arm64 port of freepascal in time for jessie.

I failed so far on kFreeBSD
For kfreebsd it's easy enough to get the compiler to run (freepascal already has a freebsd port) but getting it to link against C libraries is harder. When freepascal links against C libraries it uses a peice of special startup code called "cprt0.o" to set things up. cprt0.o is built from cprt0.as

Neither the linux version or the freebsd version of that file will result in a successful link with C libaries on kfreebsd. Someone with a deep understanding of x86 assembler and binary conventions needs to look at the code (probablly both the freebsd and linux variations of it) and write a version that will work on kfreebsd.