Re: QNAP 219 P II, Luks, Debian

On Mon, 2014-09-01 at 11:46 -0400, Li, Peng wrote:
> HI Tim,
> I am glad to report that, it's now working.....!!!! Many thanks to Tim
> and Ian as well.Peng
>
> >> 2. The setting was not stayed and we ended up on /dev/ram situation
> >> again.
> >
> > To make the change in u-boot stay before you type boot, type saveenv
> >
> > That will save your changes to u-boot's flash storage
>
> This indeed worked!
>
> Question though.
> 1. Will future kernel update affect this?

Since you have saved the env I don't think so.

> 2. Will future flash-kernel script have a line that will look-into
> /etc/fstab's /root dev info and use it to generate a "boot argus....."
> and save it on U-boot env automatically?

If someone will provide a patch against
flash-kernel.git:initramfs-tools/hooks/flash_kernel_set_root to
automatically detect this situation and do the right thing then
flash-kernel then this won't be necessary in the future.

This hook runs at initrd generation time and writes a /conf/param.conf
into the initrd containing a root= override, this means that with this
solution the default uboot env can be used.

That said looking at the script it's not clear why it isn't already
working for your root on /dev/mapper/LG01-LVG01 setup.

I take it that running update-initramfs completes without any error
message, or you would have mentioned it. Could I ask you to unpack your
initrd and extract conf/param.conf e.g.:
        zcat /boot/initrd.img | cpio -id conf/param.conf
        cat conf/param.conf

Also what does this output for you:
        egrep '^[^#   ]+[     ]+/[    ]' /etc/fstab | awk '{print $1}'

Ian.