Re: QNAP 219 P II, Luks, Debian

On Thu, Aug 14, 2014 at 12:09 AM, peng <linux@f2f10.com> wrote:
So, here's my test.

1. Sole relying U-boot/kernel/initramd, with /root on hard disk, I can enter passphrase for luks (for /root), but will land in shell and complain lacking of /dev/ram.
2. Creating a seperate /boot either on harddisk or separate usb disk, with /boot on luks on harddisk, I can enter passphrase for luks , but will land in shell and it complains lacking of /dev/ram.
3. without luks, it works.

So, What seems to have caused this problem of not making luks work?

Put /boot on a separate, unencrypted, partition formatted with ext2 and it should work. I have had that running myself on Qnap TS-419. AFAICT you haven't tried that. Why you are able to enter a passphrase, I don't know.

The other question is, whether the following are correct boot sequence?
U-boot----> Kernel on flash-->initramd on flash--> /boot/kernel on hard disk and /boot/initramd on harddisk ---> /root.

or
U-boot----> Kernel on flash-->initramd on flash--> ---> /root.

This is the correct sequence. /boot is only used when flash-kernel writes the kernel and ramdisk to flash.

On a typical linux system, it would be , Grub--->/boot/kernel+initramd on hardisk---->/root.

Please help to clarrify.

thakns

peng