u-boot search order (Re: flash-kernel and dtb)

On Fri, Jun 20, 2014 at 09:34:05PM -0700, Steve Langasek wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 19, 2014 at 07:58:25AM -0700, Vagrant Cascadian wrote:

> > > Wouldn't that be a good default, because the flash-kernel puts everything in
> > > /boot and why having during each boot checks which fail in a default setup:
>
> > If /boot is on a separate partition, you have the same issue in reverse. Which
> > seems like a reasonable configuration to me.
>
> No, you don't; if /boot is a separate partition, then boot_prefix=/boot will
> map to /boot/boot, which doesn't exist.

And create the "boot checks which fail in a default setup" that I was
responding to.

> So the unambiguously preferable search order is "/boot /"; in some cases
> this will give an extra directory lookup,

Well, four extra directory lookups (boot.scr, uEnv.txt, zImage, uImage)...
though it could probably be written to be more intelligent when checking /boot,
first checking if /boot is present at all before attempting to load files from
it.

> but it should never cause the bootloader to get confused by stray files in
> /boot vs. / on the root filesystem.

That's a good point I hadn't considered. Ok, you've convinced me. :)

live well,
  vagrant