Re: flash-kernel and dtb

On Sunday 15 June 2014 08:46:30 Rainer Dorsch wrote:
> Hi Vagrant,
>
> On Saturday 14 June 2014 15:37:03 Vagrant Cascadian wrote:
> > On Sat, Jun 14, 2014 at 11:56:01PM +0200, Karsten Merker wrote:
> > > On Sat, Jun 14, 2014 at 10:36:43PM +0200, Rainer Dorsch wrote:
> > > It looks like you might not have set a console device, so
> > > possibly the kernel boots, but you do not see any output.  Try
> > > setting the console device on the kernel commandline with a
> > >
> > > command like:
> > >   setenv bootargs 'console=ttyS0,115200 rootwait panic=10'
> > >
> > > (The example assumes that the serial port on the i.MX6 is ttyS0 and
> > > not something else such as ttyAMA0.)
> >
> > The cubox-i uses ttymxc0.
> >

> > As I've been writing up a few bootscripts for flash-kernel lately, I've
> > been wondering about what makes sense for bootargs...
> >
> > With flash-kernel 3.20+, bootargs from the u-boot env are silently ignored
> > when using bootscripts that set bootargs... the default bootargs is
> > "quiet".
> >
> > Should the bootscript only set bootargs if not already set by u-boot?
> >
> > Then dpkg-reconfigure flash-kernel, or editing /etc/default/flash-kernel,
> > will be silently ignored if it's set in the u-boot env.
> >
> > Neither way seems optimal. I guess setting \$\{bootargs\} in
> > /etc/default/flash-kernel might work to inherrit the u-boot env value...
> > but that's a bit non-obvious.
>
> what about by default flash-kernel overwrites the u-boot bootargs (as you
> have it now), but if I explicitly do a
>
> setenv ubootargs 1
>
> then the u-boot bootargs are not overwritten? That would be useful for
> experimentation (as I do it right now).

Another option:

use deb prefixes or postfixes.

e.g. deb_bootargs, if they are set then not the bootargs in /boot/boot.scr are
overwritten.

Would it be a good idea to pre- or postfix as many u-boot environment variables
as possible with deb? e.g. deb_mmcpart, deb_loadaddr, ...

Would that allow a Debian u-boot config to live side by side with an u-boot
config for another OS on another partion?

Kind regards,
Rainer

--
Rainer Dorsch