Re: Cubox-i with Debian Stock Kernel

On Fri, 2014-05-30 at 12:36 +0200, Rainer Dorsch wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I debootstrapped sid for my cubox-i and installed a Debian stock kernel.
> Thanks for the descriptions at
>
> https://wiki.debian.org/ArmHardFloatPort/CuBox-i
>
> from Steve and the therein referenced blog post from Gunnar.
>
> The good news: it is up and running
>
> root@bokocube:~# uname -a
> Linux bokocube 3.15-rc5-armmp #1 SMP Debian 3.15~rc5-1~exp1 (2014-05-16)
> armv7l GNU/Linux
> root@bokocube:~# cat /proc/device-tree/model
> SolidRun Cubox-i Dual/Quadroot@bokocube:~#
>
> What I did is to use mkimage to create an u-boot image of the kernel+dtb
> and initrd.

By u-boot image do you mean you ran mkimag to create uImage and
uInitrd/uRamdisk or did you create some sort of single encapsulated
thing? Does the Cubox-i u-boot support bootz or just bootm?

>  Then I manually set the u-boot (setenv) and got the the
> sytem up and running.
>
> The are a few open issues left though. Any feedback and guidance if I am
> on the right track here is welcome.
>
> 1) For each reboot, I manually have to enter the u-boot setup
>
> I could use the u-boot cmd interface to save to set the settings when
> once configured correctly. Is that the way to go?
>
> Is there a way to set the proper settings from Debian itself (e.g.
> create a u-boot.img and dd it into the mmc) ?
>
> 2) For each kernel update, I have to convert them to u-boot images using
> mkimage
>
> Would creating a flash-kernel db here be the way to go?

I think so, yes.

The best answer to #1 would be that flash-kernel would create/populate
the right thing that the factory default u-boot settings would find and
boot it (what this involves depends very, much on the platform it might
mean writing /boot/boot.scr or it might mean writing uImage to a
specific flash partition etc)

> 3) The functionality is limited, e.g. no video out, only serial console
>
> Not a serious issue for me, because that is enough is running for my
> usecase right now. But I wanted to mention that in case others follow
> that way and only find out at the end that their usecase is not supported.

It would be useful to record this stuff via wiki.debian.org/DebianOn.

Thanks,
Ian.