Re: arm64 update - help wanted

Antonio Terceiro wrote:
The code is ported, but starting at 1.9 Ruby needs an existing Ruby
interpreter to build. Ruby 1.8 needs only gcc-4.6 ... which needs
patchutils. So we got ourselves a loop there.
I would think that during bootstrapping core packages like gcc and patchutils would be crossbuilt. I would suspect that the reason gcc-4.6 is not available on arm64 is that noone has bothered to port a version of gcc that is now three releases behind current.
I have just committed a change to ruby that AFAICT will actually allow
it to be built against ruby1.8 ( http://deb.li/nZlv ), any ideas on how
to break the loop
I see a few possibilities

1: use the packages from ubuntu in your build environment.
2: crossbuild ruby (assuming that doing so is possible)
3: see if you can get ruby 1.8 to work with a recent gcc. For example you might want to see what happens if you build ruby 1.8 with a recent gcc and -O0

I'm ccing this to the removal bug for ruby 1.8 as if it is the only way to bootstrap then it might be a good idea to keep it arround.