Re: Support for sunxi-based ARM systems in d-i

On Tue, 2014-05-06 at 00:39 +0100, Ben Hutchings wrote:
> On Mon, 2014-05-05 at 20:17 +0100, Ian Campbell wrote:
> > On Mon, 2014-05-05 at 20:39 +0200, Karsten Merker wrote:
> > > As can be seen above, the kernel package does not create symlinks in
> > > /boot. It creates symlinks in /, but as it is possible (and sometimes even
> > > necessary, e.g. with encrypted root) to have /boot on a seperate filesystem,
> > > these are unusable in a boot script.
> >
> > Hrm, I thought if /boot was separate the symlink would be made in /boot,
> > so /vmlinuz of the boot device (whether that was / or /boot) was always
> > valid. Seems like I was wrong -- I have two systems with separate /boot,
> > and one has the symlinks in / the other in /boot (and I only looked at
> > the second last time around). I think I must have some tweaks
> > to /etc/kernel-img.conf (specifically to link_in_boot) which I'd
> > forgotten about, sorry for that.
> >
> > This does make me wonder if f-k with your patch needs to be more careful
> > about overwriting /boot/vmlinuz in case it is a symlink.
>
> The official kernel packages will put symlinks in boot if you put:
>
>     link_in_boot = yes
>
> in /etc/kernel-img.conf.  I believe the Debian installer does that for
> some architectures.

Both the systems I was referring to were x86 so I suppose I've been
messing with one of them at some point (or maybe the default has
changed).

But yes, you are right, I can see that the base-installer package has a
debconf key for link_in_boot which is defaulted based on architecture.
It's true by default and false for alpha, i386, amd64, ia64, mips,
mipsel and m68k (see base-installer/debian/templates-arch).

AFAICT it should end up true for an armhf installation, but that is
contradicted by what Karsten is seeing. Perhaps because the necessary
kernel isn't in the archive yet so it is being fixed up by hand after
the fact, which misses out on the d-i tailoring?

FWIW the lilo-installer package consults that key and sybil-installer
overrides it itself too.

Ian.