Re: Try debian for arm on ubuntu intel mHow ac os x or windows

On 2/1/2014 8:24 PM, peter green wrote:
Michaël Parchet wrote:
Hello,

I'm interested to try debian arm with LXDE on my intel machine ubuntu
mac ox x or windows before eventually buy a device on this system like :

http://openphoenux.org/

How can I try debian for arm with lxde on my ubuntu mac os or windows
computer ?
You can run debian armhf in qemu using the "versatile express"
platform/kernel.

Unfortunately i'm not aware of a good tutorial
https://lists.debian.org/debian-arm/2014/01/msg00074.html and the
replies to it pointing out where he messed up should have most of the
information you need if you are reasonablly competant with linux.

My advice is to leave desktop environment unselected in the installer
and then manualy install X and lxde after installer. If you try to
install the graphical environment though the installer it will probablly
try to install gnome3 which is not what you want.

I'm not sure what the graphics situation with versatile express in qemu
is either. My guess is you probablly have a framebuffer with no
acceleration but I could be wrong on that.

This works under Debian, but I haven't been able to get qemu-system-arm working under Windows, despite trying three different binaries. Don't know what's wrong, and I haven't gotten any useful help on the qemu email list yet (but it's only been about 3-4 days).

Jerry