Re: Re: Fwd: On a Samsung ARM Chromebook, could nv-uboot easily boot to stock linux kernels, by way of ARM-GRUB?

2014/1/10 Ian Campbell <ijc@hellion.org.uk>:
> On Fri, 2014-01-10 at 13:03 +0400, Held Bier wrote:
>> Ian,

>> > This escape hack was removed from Xen mainline months ago -- are you
>> > using some old version?
>>
>> Yes, it was. But i meant an old people/aperard/xen-arm -b
>> chromebook-2013-03-22 which "Xen ARM with Virtualization
>> Extensions/Chromebook" page at Xen's wiki refers on.
>>

>> > I would strongly recommend that if you want to try to get Xen onto a
>> > Chromebook that you use the latest Xen mainline along with a suitably
>> > virtualisation enabled U-boot. There have been numerous improvements to
>> > the platform support and hardware compatibility side of things since
>> > that hack existed.
>>
>> Indeed, there is a progress going on ARM platform support in general,
>> but Chromebook isn't an official Xen port, right?
>
> It's not in the mainline tree yet, if that's what you mean. If someone
> can get it into a state where it is working then we'd be happy to take
> the patches. (Although we are frozen for the 4.4 release so they would
> either need to be restricted to chromeos specific code or wait for 4.5
> development to open in a month or so)
>
>> From Stefano [http://lists.xen.org/archives/html/xen-arm/2013-09/msg00001.html]:
>> "we didn't make any more progress on the Chromebook port so the page
>> above [http://wiki.xen.org/wiki/Xen_ARM_with_Virtualization_Extensions/Chromebook]
>> is the most recent information we have on it."
>> And this page points to aperard's repos for both xen and kernel, so
>> either wiki's page isn't updated, or the work on Chromebook hadn't
>> been merged into Xen mainline.
>
> Right. That wiki page is misleading -- the chromebook stuff was a WIP
> development effort which was never brought to the point of fully working
> before it stalled.
>
> Anthony -- please can you update the wiki page please with whatever the
> best current advice is, whether that is "take this branch and rebase it
> onto something more recent" or "this obsolete branch exists but doesn't
> work, best advice is to start over with something newer" or whatever.
>
> Held -- as you are probably gathering you are going to have to do some
> development work if you want to run Xen on your chromebook at this
> stage. We are happy to provide guidance (probably best to take this
> upstream) but it is going to need a certain amount of lowlevel hacking
> skills -- especially given the lack of serial console on the chromebook
> (unless you have soldered one on).
>
> Ian.

Hmm, i've just read somewhere that Xen on Chromebook was demonstrated
on some conference, so i thought that it works, at least primordially. I suppose
that information was wrong then.
Anyway...
Ian, thanks much for bringing the correct info!