Re: Good ARM board for Debian?

On 9/26/2013 5:13 PM, Jerry Stuckle wrote:
Hi again, all,

Well, it looks like for several reasons the RaspberryPi won't work for
this project.  Can anyone recommend other ARM-based boards which run
Wheezy well?

This is going to be a used as a monitor/controller, so major speed isn't
a factor.  It will mainly be using SPI and GPIO ports, plus ethernet for
communications.  Other things like graphics, USB ports, etc. are not
important for this project (but their presence doesn't rule the board out).

Also the ability to run their ARM version of Wheezy under QEMU is
important for development.

I appreciate any recommendations.

TIA
Jerry

Let's try this again. I'm still looking for a good ARM board for Debian. I thought the Olinuxino A10s board would work until I found out recently that Allwinner has stopped making the SDK as of last February. No more updates for Linux, and it looks like this chip is going by the wayside. We need one which will be around for a while.

We looked at several boards, including the rpi (problems with the ethernet interface because it feeds into the USB port, and poor support for commercial applications) and Beagleboards (lawyers and management don't like the licensing requirements).

So it's pretty much back to square one. This will be a dedicated system. Minimum needs are:

500Mhz ARM (faster is better),
512Mb RAM (1GB would be better),
100MB Ethernet,
SD/Micro SD card 4G or greater (a second slot would be nice so one for software, one for data),
1 SPI,
3-4 GPIO.
Video/USB keyboard/mouse are optional but could be used for development. Once installed, the system will be remote, accessed by ethernet (TCP/IP).

Client would like to keep the cost below $50 US in quantity (i.e. 250-1000).

An advantage would be full details (schematics, board details, etc.) so the client can have their own boards designed if necessary.

Suggestions are definitely welcome.

Jerry