Re: Debian arm on WD Sharespace

Hi Todor (and Martin),

I have debian running on mine, with a home-cobbled kernel. To get
debian up and running on this unsupported device is non-trivial. If
you want I can supply kernel/initramfs images (and source) but the
first step has to be getting serial access to the device so you can
mess with the bootloader*. This requires you to connect a
line-leveling serial cable to some pins on the board. Pin and cable
guide are at the end of the page here -
http://westerndigital.nas-central.org/wiki/Category:ShareSpace

After that you can try net-booting my kernel, then debian will need to
be installed to a drive using debootstrap... and eventually you'll get
a running system

Basically, let me know if you're interested in doing this and I'll be
happy to help you through it, but it's not quite as easy as "grab an
image and install" because it's not a supported device and I haven't
hacked a debian installer for it yet, just a kernel and a couple of
scripts. Totally understand if you don't because it will be some work.

David Hicks
dave@nastylittlehorse.net

*(in theory you may be able to mess with the variables by messing with
the NOR that stores the uboot variables directly from the shell on the
device, but.... well it would be easy to brick and you'd then need the
cable anyway)