Re: Debian Wheezy rootfs for Chromebook

Hello again,

It has been ages since I last worked on this, but I finally got some time
to make the script a bit more reasonable and share it in case anyone is
interested in using it for generating a Debian fs for ARMv7.

It uses multistrap and I used it natively on Chromebook when it was still
running Ubuntu. Checked it just now that it can generate something, after
all this bitrot, so it should hopefully still work :)

Links bellow.

On Fri, Mar 08, 2013 at 01:06:32AM +0000, Vassilis Laganakos wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Just wanted to let you know that I've put (after a bit of delay) a Debian
> Wheezy rootfs for use on Chromebook at :
>
>  http://git.einval.com/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi?p=debian-rootfs.git;a=tree;f=tarballs;hb=HEAD
>
> and it is *almost* ready to use. You must have read the various blogs that
> describe how to get Ubuntu or Fedora on Chromebook; so if you want to use
> Debian instead, just use this root fs. It is as vanilla as it gets, as it
> comes out of multistrap.
>
> What you need to do is, when you follow the instructions from the blog you
> prefer (e.g. http://is.gd/JgQtff, http://is.gd/pmOmUj, http://is.gd/PcwBqy)
> for getting something else on Chromebook besides ChromeOS, in the step that
> suggests to download a root filesystem get this one instead.
>
> Then you need to copy the ALSA ucm configuration files for DAISY, the kernel
> modules and firmware files in the right locations, complete the set of
> instructions you follow and it *should just work* :)
>
> More info is in the README in the repository above, that should be used in
> conjunction with the info in one of the blogs.
>
> I will shortly share the script that I wrote that generates this filesystem,
> in case you want to use it for creating your own version; and I will also
> give a summary of how I put that together (if you fancy reading about
> that).

The script and the multistrap configuration file live at the same place as
the tarballs:

    http://git.einval.com/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi?p=debian-rootfs.git;a=summary

Might not be relevant anymore, but someone might want to use them for
generating fses for other ARMv7 platforms anyway (with a bit of editing :) ).

> Many thanks to Steve McIntyre for the space in the git repo and to hrw for
> the firmware tips ;)

Kind regards,
Vassilis L.