Re: Dropping support for the smallest armel machines

On Mon, 2013-06-24 at 23:44 +0100, Ben Hutchings wrote:
> We have a recurring problem with building kernels for armel: three
> flavours (iop32x, ixp4xx, orion5x) require the kernel image size to be
> less than 1.4-1.5 MB in order to fit into a fixed flash partition.
>
> As more features continue to be added to Linux and cannot always
> configurable as a module, it is necessary to override and disable them
> on these three configurations[1].  I don't think this is sustainable
> unless someone who particularly cares about these older platforms steps
> up to take on this task.
>
> The iop32x and ixp4xx hardware appears to been discontinued in 2008.  If
> we remove these flavours now, they will still be supported in Debian 7
> until 2016.  I think 8 years of support is pretty good.
[...]

I heard a lot of support for keeping iop32x, but no-one volunteereed to
maintain the configuration.  Unless someone does so, the next time they
fail to build due to lack of space I may simply disable them.  That does
not, of course, prevent anyone from re-enabling them later with a fixed
configuration.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
Humans are not rational beings; they are rationalising beings.