Re: ARMHF - Mediaplayer software?

On Sat, Apr 6, 2013 at 7:17 PM, Rüdiger Leibrandt
<rleibrandt@uni-bremen.de> wrote:
> Having heard a lot about the Raspberry Pi I got myself a pair.
> They're very nice things, but one thing drives me mad:
> They suck for Video playback.
> Having tried mplayer, vlc, XMMS and basically everything I get with
> apt-cache search video | grep player
> I am out of ideas.

 send the fucking things back.  please.  and get a single cubieboard,
or a wandaboard or *anything* for less than the cost of the 2
waste-of-time boards you just bought.  at least with the A10 you a)
get a real SATA interface b) as it's a chinese company, despite the
fact that the VPU is still proprietary they at least don't give a
stuff about paying MPEG royalties (leaving that up to you) and at
least libcedarx provides VP8 acceleration.

 alternatively you can help support proprietary business practices and
help endorse and software patents by paying the fuckwits at Broadcom
for the privilege of access to their proprietary CODECs.

 now you *hopefully* have learned the hard way what Software Freedom
is really about, by having your hard-earned money and time wasted on a
pile of shit with insidious and hidden proprietary lock-in that
*wasn't* in the small print [*1], taking advantage of and masquerading
"in the name of" education [*1]

l.

[*1] giving you a *genuine* reason to return the devices, under the UK
Trade Descriptions Act and the illegal practice of "mis-selling"
[*2] http://whitequark.org/blog/2012/09/25/why-raspberry-pi-is-unsuitable-for-education/