Re: arm build hardware

On Tue, Mar 12, 2013 at 10:11 PM, David Pottage <david@chrestomanci.org> wrote:

>>   so, yeah - word of advice from experience: *DO NOT* get a system with
>> 1gb of RAM for building of distro packages, if you want to have a life
>> :)
>

> OK then, what about ODROID-U2 ?
> Quad Core Cortex A9 @ 1.7 GHz, 2Gb RAM, no SATA connectivity.

 mmm... sounds good...

> http://www.hardkernel.com/renewal_2011/products/prdt_info.php?g_code=G135341370451

 corr, that's f*****g tiny!  absolutely awesome.  wow.  10 watts power
input.  that's a hell of a lot in such a small space.  hilarious the
way they have the

> I know you have said that some USB mass storage controllers are unreliable
> but is it really that bad for all of them? Is there a list of known good
> controllers or ones to avoid?

 i don't honestly know.  i have to find out, because i'm doing a
jz4760 eoma68 card.  jz4760 doesn't have SATA... so unless i hear
otherwise i'm going with the JM20329 [because i found a datasheet on
it - hard to find, these!]

> I have been investigating ARM dev boards for an unrelated project of my own,
> and discovered that thought there are plenty to choose from, a SATA port
> appears to be a rare feature that increases the price considerably, which
> got me thinking that the raw speed of USB2 should be adequate so long as it
> is reliable and does not add too much latency.

 see if you can find gordan's postings (or track him down) - he found
some extremely good NAND SSDs that had dual SATA and USB interfaces.
he upgraded a toshiba a100 [ documented it all, including replacing
the screen with a 1280x768] and put a USB-based SSD in, and it
absolutely screams along.  because he picked the right part.  and
tested a whole bunch.

 if you can find him you should be able to ask him, since the
intervening time which is over a year now, how reliable it's been.

 l.