Re: arm build hardware

On Mon, Mar 11, 2013 at 9:03 AM, Sander <sander@humilis.net> wrote:
> peter green wrote (ao):
>> So I think two arndaleboards in a 1U EATX case would be tight but
>> doable. The biggest problem would likely be the serial console
>> connector and it may be nessacery to use a custom cable for that
>> either using an IDC D connector or using a conventional solder or
>> crimp connector with no backshell.
>
> I'm not sure I understand what the problem is. Why can't you just use an
> usb-to-serial cable?

 reliability of the usb-to-serial cable.  i.e. many people have found
them to be utterly, utterly shit.  to the extent that, it is
well-known and *already* in the linux kernel source tree, for at least
18 months possibly more, that the support for e.g. GL830 usb-to-sata
IC actually has an algorithm "if chip crashes then reset it without
notifying the user, repeat until success".  trimslice used the GL830
in one of their boxes (the one with the nvidia tegra), and it wasn't a
good idea.

 on the other hand, some people have reported that if you pick the
right usb-to-sata flash drive, you can get exceptional reliability.
gordon on arm-netbooks did a write-up about 18 months ago - he's
extremely knowledgeable.

 l.