RE: Debian on ARM Chromebook?

Marcin, Shawn,

Thanks for your nice replies.  I now have a place to start.  I am a bit
intimidated, though.  I rarely have a need for chroot, and I never have done
a debootstrap of a system, and what with the need to sign kernels and all,
well, it's a lot to take in at once.  I am midgrade in knowledge, capable of
making a general fool of myself over on Debian-user list and can hold my own
with basic admin chores, but the lower-level system stuff, I am new to.

I hope you can be patient when I ask dumb questions.  Thanks for your help!

(I was asking about it to make sure, because I think some of the stuff I
found was for the Acer x86 Chromebook.  A real Chromebook, but not what I am
working with.)

Mark

This is not a x86 laptop Mark, this is the ARM chromebook, although all the
linux kernels build from the same chrome kernel git repository.

I thought I would fill you in on what I have discovered.  Bodhi Linux has an
ARM distribution of Wheezy.  As it happens, it is Debian-based, not
Ubuntu-based, like Bodhi x86 is.  So, I get Debian by using Bodhi.

So far, the install script is based on other Chromebook installers, and the
one it is based on repartitions the main SSD and installs there, reserving
some space for the ChromeOS, and making space for Bodhi.  The upshot is, you
can dual boot, but space is limited.  Use can use an SD card for space, but
so far, you can't boot from the SD card.  I may work on that on my own.

Mark