Re: Plug computer with two eth

On Sun, 3 Mar 2013 18:29:04 +0000
mick <mbm@rlogin.net> wrote:

> On Sun, 3 Mar 2013 09:59:56 -0600
> Bill Gatliff <bgat@billgatliff.com> allegedly wrote:
>
> > On Sun, Mar 3, 2013 at 9:26 AM, Ted To <rainexpected@theo.to> wrote:
> > > Globalscale has a couple with two ethernet ports but they are not
> > > as cheap as the typical plug computer. Never used one so I can't
> > > tell you much else.
> >
> > I'm ambivalent to the Globalscale Dreamplug.  I purchased one, and was
> > VERY pleased that it came with Debian already pre-installed.  But I
> > was greatly concerned from the beginning at how hot it runs, so I have
> > been careful to keep it well-ventilated.
> >
> > About two months of putting it into service, it started OOPSing with
> > command timeouts from the internal SD card.  And they got
> > progressively quicker as time marched on.  The thing is basically
> > unusable after three months.  I don't know if this issue is
> > heat-related, but I can't help but wonder.  Especially since the
> > system boots and runs fine when it's cool, and I haven't seen any
> > OOPSes until things are fairly well heat-soaked and I'm leaning on the
> > filesystem (apt-get update, etc.).
>
> I have used a sheevaplug for some time and it too gets very hot. Worse,
> the PSU gives up after anywhere from 3 months to a year. I had one
> last a year, my last one gave up after about 8 months. I considered the
> dreamplug as a potential firewall device, but given my experience of
> the sheeva (and comments on various fora on-line) I just wouldn't trust
> it.

Well, Sheeva plug has very bad packaging, almost no ventilation
holes, and less than perfect quality of PSU (and infamous 30 days
guarantee). On the plus side, you can easily remove psu and replace it
with external one. Than it works like a charm, no overheating
whatsoever, I ran it for days in a row on 100% CPU load recompiling
world in Gentoo.

> Mick
>
> blog: baldric.net
> gpg fingerprint: FC23 3338 F664 5E66 876B  72C0 0A1F E60B 5BAD D312

Nebojša