Re: iMX6 EOMA-68 CPU Card

On Wed, Feb 27, 2013 at 05:25:16PM -0600, Bill Gatliff wrote:
> Yes.  For example, the approach I described.  :-)
>
> It isn't always about speed per se, but it is always about flexibility
> without fundamentally destabilizing the fundamentals of the system.
> Consider what it would take to modify grub so that if it didn't find a
> filesystem, after checking in several places, then it would phone home
> over all available network connections in including any USB ethernet
> adapters.  And then consider how you would facilitate a new developer
> changing that code without breaking it.

That bit would be tricky unless you had a part of your storage that was
never written to that contained the code to boot when nothing else worked.

> Nah, don't drink the kool-aid.  This diversity is good when the
> alternative is locking us into a BIOS-like universe that says e.g.
> Thou Shalt Frame Your Solution Like A Tablet Computer.
>
> I think the origins of Linus' tantrum lie in a misunderstanding of the
> problems that ARM machines face (a point I made on LKML and LAK back
> in the day).  The solution isn't to demand that all problems must be
> solved in the same way; rather, it's to bring an infrastructure that
> isn't so brittle.  You can't simplify the universe.

There is no need to do things 500 different ways.  Maybe 10 or 20
different ways is sufficient (certainly 1 way is likely to be too
restrictive).

Diversity does not mean sprawl is required.

> The "mess" you see in ARM isn't the problem, it's merely a symptom of
> the problem.
>
> Devicetree is a step in the right direction, but basically because it
> brings two fundamentally different capabilities: you can describe the
> device model in something that doesn't require kernel recompilation to
> change, and you can describe the device model in something that you
> can parse pre-kernel boot.
>
> But I digress...

I really hope the ARM servers can do something sane so that they have
a common interface for installation and booting.  If they don't I doubt
they will ever be taken seriously.  That would be a shame.

--
Len Sorensen