Re: Good ARM board for Debian?

On 12/24/2013 10:44 AM, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:
On Tue, Dec 24, 2013 at 2:27 PM, Jerry Stuckle <jstuckle@attglobal.net> wrote:
On 12/24/2013 6:37 AM, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:

jerry: i apologise - there are too many judgements and assumptions for
me to be able to continue this conversation, especially without
consultancy fees being paid.  i've given you a lot of advice: you're
not listening to it.  you may also wish to bear in mind that the
client is going to be able to do their own google searches and find
this conversation.  you may also wish to consider that you've misled
people on this list, and they have provided you with answers according
to those misleading questions.  you might like to consider
compensating them - or the debian project - for their time in some
appropriate way.

l.

Luke,

Sorry, I have been upfront since the start about the requirements.  I have
not misled anyone.

  you've misled people by releasing information in reverse-order.  we
had no idea that you have a client who is looking for 1000s of units.
that came *later* in a 2nd message.  the 1st message - weeks ago -
gave everyone the impression that you were looking for a *personal*
system.  everyone responded on that basis.

You obviously did not read the ENTIRE thread. This was made very clear when I started the thread several months ago. And while I never said I was looking for a personal system, it's also a question I don't ask of people in mail lists such as this or usenet. It makes no difference to me whether someone is looking for a personal system or one for a commercial venture. If I can answer the question, I do.

In fact, many of the usenet programming groups ARE populated by people who make a living programming. That doesn't matter to the rest of us; we help no matter what, and don't ask for any pay in return.

And you are judging how other people replied. YOU replied thinking this was a personal system; you don't know how others replied. Please don't make judgements based on facts you don't know.

  But you have continued to ignore those requirements,
instead pushing your own design,

  wrong on several counts.  i _have_ warned you about making
judgements, jerry.  now you're beginning to annoy me by continuing to
make judgements, when i'm trying to help you.  and not being paid to
do so.

No, you pushed and continued to push your own design. Thanks, but I need real help, not someone demanding remuneration or pushing his own design.

1) based on the facts (which have come through very slowly), the
EOMA68 design and the design strategy is the only one that fits the
requirements.  despite your judgements to the contrary.

Still pushing your own design, I see.

2) i have given you some leads to explore.  the freescale and atmel
parts.  these are nothing to do with the EOMA68 design.

Yes, but you only pushed various SoC's.  No development boards.

3) when we did not have all the facts, i and several others
recommended that you explore the cubieboard and other hardware.  when
you *eventually* presented all the facts [drip-feed], those boards
were eliminated.  also, the EOMA68-A20 and Improv were not ready or
available at the time so i could not recommend them at the time.

The facts were laid out exactly, right at the start. It's not my fault you didn't read the entire thread.

which does not work on several fronts.

  that is a judgement on your part which is in direct conflict with the
facts.  i'm still waiting for you to ask the questions rather than
continuing to make judgements.

I told you several reasons why it didn't work. I'm just going by your documentation. If that is wrong, you need to correct it.

  are you interested in asking questions or is it more useful to you to
pass judgement?

It is more important to me to stop wasting my time with someone who wants to be paid and/or keeps pushing his own solution, despite the fact it doesn't meet our needs.

And I hope you don't continue to demand consulting fees for Debian email
list support.  There are thousands of people on this and other Debian lists
who provide answers to questions without being mercenary about it.  And they
do it without asking if this is a personal or work-related question.

  you may continue to view this in a way that is useful to you.

And you may continue to shoot yourself in the foot.

Yes, my client can read this thread; in fact they know this is one of the
places I'm looking.  I was very up front with them about the difficulty in
meeting their requirements,

  jerry, i have to be honest, here: the difficulty is in your ability
to understand the field, not in the requirements themselves.

l.

No, I understand the field. I've been doing this probably longer than you've been alive (since the mid-70's). If I had a quick answer for my client, I wouldn't be here asking if someone had suggestions.

And to be honest, Luke, the difficulty here is your inability to understand requirements.

At this point I'm not going to waste any time replying to any of your posts. I have better things to do.

Jerry